Each year we have to take the bad along with the good, but, wow, it seems like 2017 was extra full of sadness and evil. There are so many things we have no control over, yet we have choices every day that can make a positive difference for ourselves and others.
Here's a list of choices that could prevent at least some of the needless unhappiness and suffering in 2018. Starting with what we can control will make life better for ourselves and those around us.
- Drive sober and unimpaired.
- On the same note, being distracted while driving is just as dangerous. Put the cell phone away.
- Choose kind words.
- Be aware that your tone of voice can hurt as much as words.
- Talk to your children, and not just to order them around. TALK to them.
- Laugh with your children.
- Know there are two sides to every story.
- Clean up your own messes. Can I get an amen?
- Help those who are weaker.
- And the gold standard for all circumstances, treat others like you want to be treated.