I know I should keep quiet if I have nothing nice to say. I know I can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Even though I try to adhere to these adages, there are a few things that always seem to make me forget about them.
1. Broken eggs in the carton. I open the carton in the store to inspect the eggs before I buy them. I do not want to buy broken eggs, but some cracks are not apparent on inspection. When I buy eggs, thinking all are intact, then pick up an egg to use it and discover it is smashed on the bottom, it makes me grouchy.
2. Shoes that blister my feet. This is a sneaky one. A pair of shoes can feel fine, but out of the blue a blister forms. This especially makes me grouchy if I have to keep walking in the shoes. The bigger the blister gets, the grouchier I get.
3. Someone who takes undue credit. Sometimes it's job related, but not always. It can be anything that one person grabs all the credit for, leaving the person who did the work with their mouth open in disbelief. It makes me feel grouchy that anyone would have the nerve to pretend they were responsible for something they didn't do. I have only one word for those people -- karma.
4. Unleashed dogs. I like dogs, but I don't want them running loose in my neighborhood. I enjoy walking for exercise, and an unleashed dog can be scary. My city has a leash law, and I feel grouchy that some of my neighbors don't honor it.
5. People who don't clean up after themselves. It doesn't matter if it's a family member or a house guest, I'm not the maid. If you make the mess, the mess belongs to you. Leaving messy surprises behind for me makes me grouchy.
Most of the time, I'm an easy-going person. On those rare days that I meet an unleashed dog when I have a blister on my foot while walking to the store for eggs that turn out to be broken when I get home, then I find my houseguest has spilled coffee on the floor, but she was too busy to clean it up because she was on the phone taking credit for work someone else had done, I might get a bit grouchy.
What makes you grouchy?